Failure to operate this product and its accessories properly may result in property damage, safety hazards, breaking of local, state or federal laws, and personal injury.
By using this product, you are deemed to have understood, endorsed and accepted all the terms and contents of this document. You are also responsible for ensuring that anyone else that uses Pixy has read and understands this document and the information contained in it.
The user is committed to being responsible for his or her actions and all consequences arising therefrom. The user promises to use the product only for legitimate purposes, and agrees to all the terms and contents of this document and any relevant policies or guidelines that may be developed by Snap Inc.
Snap Inc. does not assume any loss, liability or other responsibility caused by the user's failure to use the product and its accessories in accordance with this document, the user instructions, the relevant policies or guidelines. In the case of compliance with laws and regulations, Snap Inc. has the final interpretation of this document. Snap Inc. reserves the right to update, revise or terminate the information contained in this document without prior notice. Visit www.pixy.com/support for the most current version; in the event of divergence among different versions, the English version will prevail.
Pixy is a small smart drone with a camera and camera functions. It is not a toy and it is not intended for anyone under the age of 13, or the legal minimum age for flying products like Pixy, if this is older in the country in which you are using Pixy.
Restrictions on use
Products like Pixy are subject to local, state and federal laws about who can fly them, how and where they should be flown. Ensure that you understand the applicable laws and regulations related to drones. You must check the applicable laws for where you are using the device (including, for example, when you travel) and it is your responsibility to understand the applicable laws (such as the minimum flying age and flight restrictions) before using the product.
Do not use Pixy to engage in any illegal and improper conduct, including but not limited to espionage, military operations or other illegal work.
Anyone who may be unsafe when operating Pixy, including but not limited to children under the age of 13 (or the legal minimum age for flying products like Pixy, if this is older in the country in which you are using Pixy) must not use this product.
Anyone who is in a condition (physical, mental or otherwise) that would make them unable to safely operate Pixy, must not use this product. This includes but is not limited to: people under the influence of alcohol, drugs, medication (including anesthesia); people who have dizziness, fatigue, nausea etc.;and/or people are otherwise in a poor physical or mental state.
Do not throw or launch Pixy towards buildings, people or animals.
Do not use Pixy if it is visibly damaged.
When using Pixy be sure to respect the rights of others. For example, you may not use Pixy to invade the privacy of others.
Additional general safety warnings
Pay attention! Using Pixy may increase the time it takes to react to hazards. Pay attention to your surroundings at all times during flight. Do not use Pixy in situations that require your attention, or where distractions could put you or others in harm’s way.
Magnets and medical devices. Pixy contains magnets and components that emit radio waves, which could affect the operation of medical devices such as pacemakers and other implantable devices, hearing aids, and insulin pumps. If you have an electronic medical device, consult your doctor or the device manufacturer before using Pixy, and keep the Pixy and charging case at an appropriate distance. Stop using Pixy if you observe any interference with a medical device.
Water. Never allow Pixy to come into contact with liquids or be immersed in water. If Pixy gets wet, promptly wipe it dry. Never turn on Pixy immediately after it has fallen into the water, as doing so will cause permanent damage to the product.
Keep flights over solid ground. When operating Pixy, ensure that the entire intended flight path remains over solid ground. Do not operate flights over water or where there may be steep drop-offs (for example, do not fly over cliff edges or building edges).
Charging. Use only the provided charging cable (or agency-approved USB-C cable) and an agency-approved power adapter to charge Pixy. Do not use any non-approved power adapters. Keep the charging areas on the Pixy and charging case clear of debris and residue. To clean charging areas, wipe with a cleaning cloth.
Overheating. Your Pixy shouldn’t overheat or cause thermal discomfort during normal use. If it does, stop using it and contact www.pixy.com/support.
Electrical components. Your Pixy contains electrical components, so follow the same precautions you would for any electronic device. For example, don’t submerge it in water. Also, don’t use it near open flames, exposed electrical hazards, in extreme conditions, while the battery is charging, or if you see a leaking battery or battery damage.
Modifications. Do not make any non-Snap approved modifications or to your Pixy. Doing so may also void your Pixy’s warranty.
Takeoff, landing and handling. Pixy takes off and lands on your open palm. Make sure that your hand is always open, flat and facing palm up when Pixy is taking off or landing; do not attempt to grab or otherwise handle Pixy while it is active (taking off, in flight, or landing) or the propellers are moving.
Avoid moving propellers. Never stick your hands, feet, or other objects in the path of a moving propeller.
Driving vehicles and operating equipment. Do not use Pixy while driving any vehicle, or while operating any other equipment.
Do not operate during night or in darkness. Do not use Pixy at night (unless you are in a well-lit area) or in darkness, as Pixy may operate abnormally in low visibility.
Moving Platform. Do not take off from moving objects such as cars, ships, and airplanes. Otherwise Pixy may behave abnormally and cause an accident.
Air travel. Check applicable aviation security administration restrictions on personal electronics before flying with Pixy. The Pixy battery contains lithium polymer batteries, which, depending on where you live, may not be permitted in checked luggage when flying.
Damaged Pixy. To avoid potential injury, don’t use Pixy if it is damaged. Do not try to repair Pixy yourself. If it is damaged, contact www.pixy.com/support.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SAFE USE OF THE PRODUCT
Before each use of Pixy you must carry out a pre-flight inspection and examine your product to make sure it is safe and legal to fly.
Pre-flight inspection should include, but is not limited to the following:
- Ensure that Pixy and its components are installed, in good condition, and work properly, including but not limited to the drone fuselage, batteries, propellers, and any other flight related components;
- Ensure the firmware and Snapchat App have been updated to the latest version;
- Ensure that you, and anyone else using Pixy, is familiar with the selected flight mode and understand all safety functions and warnings.
- Ensure that you, and anyone else using Pixy, have read and understood this document, the Quick Start Guide and Snapchat app instructions, and are familiar with operations of the product.
Pixy should be flown in a normal flight environment. A normal flight environment includes but is not limited to the following:
- An open environment away from no-fly signs, no-fly zones, airports, manned aircrafts, electromagnetic interference, trees, buildings, and large crowds;
- In temperatures of 0°C - 35°C (32°F - 95°F) and good weather (no rain, snow, fog, thunder, wind, hail or extreme weather) conditions;
- An environment with a maximum of Grade 2 or six knots of winds (approximately 6.9 miles per hour or 3.1 meters per second), otherwise the drone may not be able to fly normally, or may even cause damage or personal injury;
- An area where it is legal to fly. For example, do not fly Pixy above legally authorized altitudes or in otherwise restricted areas. For more information, please read the “Flight Regulations” (section 3.5) and “Fight Restrictions” (section 3.6);
- Do not fly the product at an altitude above 7000 feet (2000m);
In addition to the above, follow these additional considerations:
- Use caution when flying indoors. Certain functionality may be limited due to insufficient lighting, insufficient space and other environmental factors;
- Do not let the drone fly in an environment where the ground height varies greatly (for example, do not fly out of a high-rise window), as this may interfere with Pixy’s positioning /navigation function and impact flight safety;
- Do not fly the product over reflective or low visual texture surfaces that will impact the positioning/navigation function. These may include mirrored surfaces, water, textureless surfaces (i.e. solid white surface), etc;
- Only launch the product from a stationary position (i.e. not while on a moving platform, vehicle, etc);
- Do not operate the product at night, in a dark environment, or when there is low ambient lighting;
- Do not fly Pixy in areas where large events are being held, including sporting events and concerts;
- Do not fly Pixy in close proximity to non-participants, including any person who has not been informed of and understands this safety and regulatory information.
You should ensure that wireless communication is working properly before flying Pixy. Conditions for wireless communication to work properly include but are not limited to the following:
- Do not fly near sources of electromagnetic interference. Electromagnetic interference sources include, but are not limited to: Wi-Fi hotspots, Bluetooth devices, high voltage power lines, high voltage transformer stations, mobile phone base stations and television broadcast signal towers. If the flight location is not selected in accordance with the above provisions, Pixy wireless transmission performance will likely be affected by interference and Pixy may not work normally.
- Ensure that the paired phone can properly communicate with Pixy prior to flight so that the flight abort/emergency landing function can be used if required.
This section should be read together with the Quick Start Guide and the instructions in the Snapchat App.
Make sure that you are properly operating Pixy and always pay attention to flight safety. You are solely responsible for your behavior when operating Pixy, as well as any consequences (drone malfunctions, property damage, etc.) due to your incorrect operation of the Pixy. The correct methods of operating Pixy include but are not limited to the following:
- Prior to operating Pixy, ensure that the drone has enough room to operate, and that no obstacles block the preset flight path.
- Ensure that the drone is flying in an open, normal flight environment without signal interference and with sufficient lighting. Avoid reflective areas such as flying over water surfaces or snowfields.
- Ensure that all sensors are clean and unobstructed by foreign material.
- Pay attention to the safety of the surrounding environment during the flight and control the drone in time when any safety problems occur; if, during flight, you determine that Pixy may pose a hazard to people or property (such as flying too close to a non-participant), use the paired phone to command a flight abort/emergency landing.
- Make sure that your palm is always open and facing up when Pixy is taking off or landing; do not attempt to grab or otherwise handle Pixy while it is active (taking off, in flight, or landing);
- Do not touch the propellers and motors when they are spinning;
- Operate the drone within sight.
- Do not operate under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- During the flight, do not take phone calls, send text messages or use any functions of your mobile device which may interfere with the operation of the drone.
- Maintain control of the drone throughout the flight, and do not rely solely on the vision system. In each flight mode and flight environment, you are responsible for observing the surrounding environment of the drone, reasonably judging the flight conditions and staying clear of obstacles;
- Cease operating the drone as soon as possible when there is a low battery warning or other abnormal flight status (such as low battery or high wind conditions);
- Ensure that Pixy is fully charged and in normal working conditions when shooting photos or videos and make sure to turn off Pixy correctly. Otherwise, it may cause damage to or loss of data. Snap Inc. does not assume any responsibility for corrupted data that cannot be read;
- Please carefully handle the removal, installation, adjustment, etc. of the propellers and ensure that Pixy remains turned off;
- Only use Pixy’s official accessories. You are solely responsible for any consequences that resulting from the use of unofficial or unapproved accessories;
- Do not modify Pixy privately. You are responsible for all consequences caused by private modification.
Local, state and federal laws will determine the specific flight regulations that apply to your usage of Pixy. You must use Pixy in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, and you are solely responsible for checking what these are and complying with these. However, you should be aware that as a minimum:
- Do not operate Pixy in no-fly zones and other areas that are prohibited by laws and regulations.
- Do not operate Pixy in densely populated areas or areas where events are being held. Always be vigilant and avoid other drones. If necessary, please land Pixy immediately.
- Ensure that Pixy is always flying within your sight; if necessary, arrange observers to help you monitor the position of Pixy.
- Do not use Pixy to transport or carry any illegal dangerous objects.
- Make sure you understand the type of flight activity you are taking (for example, if you are flying for recreational or commercial purposes) and obtain the necessary flight permits and certifications from the relevant local flight authorities. You may not use Pixy to conduct unauthorized flight activities and any illegal flight behavior that violates the rights of other people (e.g., invades others’ privacy).
- You must use Pixy safely in compliance with any restrictions specified in all applicable laws and regulations, and you are responsible for checking what these are and complying with these. It is highly recommended that you download and install the latest version of the firmware from the Snapchat App. Make sure that the flight restriction function can work properly.
- Flight restricted areas include but are not limited to: major airports, major cities/regions, and temporary event areas. Please consult your local flight management authorities before flying Pixy and follow all local laws and regulations. In different flight restricted areas, you will be subject to different levels of flight restrictions, including but not limited to warning and notification requirements, prohibitions on take-off, etc.
- Different countries or regions all have restrictions on the maximum flying height of the drone, and you must strictly comply with the applicable flying height restrictions.
- Please always pay attention to the surroundings of the drone and stay away from any obstacles that may hinder flight. These include but are not limited to buildings, crowds, vehicles, trees, mountains and woods.
- Do not fly the product at an altitude above legally authorized altitudes or above 7000 feet (2000m).
- Store Pixy in the bumper supplied when not in use, and do not squeeze or expose Pixy to sunlight.
- Never allow Pixy to come into contact with liquids or be immersed in water. If Pixy gets wet, wipe it dry promptly. Never turn on Pixy immediately after it has come in contact with water, otherwise it will cause permanent damage to the product.
- When Pixy is not in use, make sure the battery is stored in an appropriate environment. The recommended battery storage temperature range for short-term storage (not more than three months) is -10°C to 30°C (14°F - 86°F). The recommended battery storage temperature range for long-term storage (more than three months) is 22°C to 28°C (approximately 72°F - 82°F).
- Please replace the battery after 300 charge cycles. For more details on battery maintenance, please read the Battery Safety section below.
- Pixy should only be transported in the bumper and strap that it is supplied with.
- The temperature range when transporting batteries should be around 18° C to 28° C (approximately 64° F - 82° F).
- Check all relevant airport regulations when carrying the batteries on board an aircraft and consider whether or not you need to check the device in.
- Do not transport batteries that are damaged or have other abnormalities.
Before charging and using the battery, please read these instructions. Please note that Snap Inc. has no liability for any accidents caused by the use of batteries beyond the conditions in this documentation.
Please note the following:
- The lithium polymer in the cell is an active substance, and incorrect use of the battery may cause fire, damage to your Pixy, or result in personal injury.
- The liquid inside the battery is highly corrosive. If there is a leak, do not touch the liquid. If the internal liquid comes into contact with human skin or eyes, rinse immediately with clean water; if there is any adverse reaction, please go to the hospital immediately.
- Do not allow the battery to come in contact with any liquid. Do not use the battery in rain or in humid environments. Do not drop the battery into water. Certain chemical reactions may occur after the battery is exposed to water, which may cause the battery to ignite or explode.
- Lithium polymer batteries are sensitive to temperature. Be sure to use and store the battery within the permissible temperature range to ensure safe use and battery performance.
- Keep the battery out of reach of children and animals.
- Please check the appearance of the battery carefully. If the surface of the battery is damaged, bulging or leaking, do not charge it.
- Check the charging interface, the appearance of the battery and other parts regularly. Do not charge the battery if any components or interfaces are damaged.
- Please only use authorized devices to charge the battery. Chargers for other devices may look similar, but they can negatively affect your product’s performance or damage your product. The user is solely responsible for any problems caused by the use of non-Snap Inc. official chargers.
- Only charge using the provided USB-C 3.0 cable (or agency-approved USB-C cable) and an agency-approved power adapter to charge Pixy.
Cautions During Charging
- Do not charge a high temperature battery immediately after use, as this will cause serious damage to the battery life. Charging a high temperature battery will trigger a high-temperature protection mechanism, and lead to prolonged charging time.
- If the battery power is extremely low, charge it within the allowed temperature range. If the battery power is too low and not charged in time, the battery will be over-discharged, which will cause damage to the battery.
- Do not charge the battery in any environment that is close to combustibles or combustible materials.
- Please pay attention to the battery status during charging to prevent accidents.
- If the battery catches fire, immediately turn off the power and use a sand or dry powder fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire. Do not use water to extinguish the fire.
- The charger supports charging batteries in temperatures between 0°C and 45°C (32°F - 113°F). At lower temperatures (0°C to 10°C, or 32°F - 50°F), the charging will be slower and the total charging time will be longer; charging at normal temperatures (10°C to 35° C, or 50°F - 95°F) may also extend battery life.
Use with Pixy and Dual Battery Charger for Pixy only. Only use the Pixy-branded lithium polymer rechargeable battery and charging accessories provided or approved by Snap Inc. Do not insert Pixy-branded batteries anywhere other than in Pixy or the Dual Battery Charger for Pixy. The user is solely responsible for any consequences arising from the use of non-approved batteries and accessories
Do not disassemble or puncture. Disassembly, impact, puncturing or crushing the battery could lead to damage to the battery, bulging, leakage, or even explosion.
Do not use if the battery is damaged. If the battery is deformed, bulging, leaking, has other obvious abnormalities (blackened connector, etc.), or is damaged in any way whatsoever, stop using it immediately.
Do not short-circuit the battery. Doing so is dangerous and could cause damage or injury.
Do not unplug unless Pixy is off. Otherwise, videos or photos may be lost, and the power socket and the internal parts of the product may be shortened or damaged.
High temperatures. Do not leave the battery in a high temperature environment (above 60°C or 140°F), otherwise the battery life will be shortened.
Normal operating temperature. The normal operating temperature range of the battery is 0°C to 35°C (32°F - 95°F). Excessive temperatures can cause the battery to catch fire or even explode. Temperatures that are too low can seriously affect the battery life. When the battery temperature is outside the normal operating range, it cannot provide stable power output and Pixy may not fly properly.
Avoid water or fire. Do not place the battery near water or fire.
If the battery gets wet. If the battery gets wet, immediately place it in a safe open area and stay away from it until the battery is dry. The dried battery cannot be used any more. Please dispose of the dried batteries properly by following the “Recycling and Disposal” section in this guide.
If the battery catches fire. If at any time the battery catches fire, do not use water to extinguish the fire. Please use either sand or a dry powder fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire.
Pets and children. Keep the battery out of the reach of children and pets.
Dirt. If the battery surface is dirty, wipe it off with a dry cloth, otherwise it will affect the battery contact, resulting in loss of power or failure to charge.
If Pixy falls. If Pixy accidentally falls, please check the battery immediately to ensure that it is intact. In the event of damage, cracking, malfunction or other abnormalities, do not continue to use the battery and dispose of it in accordance with the “Recycling and Disposal” section of this guide.
Storage and Transportation
- Do not store batteries in any environments with moisture, water, sand, dust, or dirt; avoid sources of heat and direct sunlight.
- Battery storage conditions:
- Short-term storage (three months or less): - 10°C to 30°C (14°F to 86°F)
- Long-term storage (more than three months ): 22°C to 28°C (71.6°F to 82.4°F)
- Humidity: ≤75% RH
- When the battery is not in use for more than 7 days, you should charge it once every two months to keep the cell active. You do not need to fully charge the battery when charging only to keep the cell active.
- The battery will enter shutdown mode if depleted and stored for a long period of time. Charge to activate it before using.
- Remove the battery from the drone when stored for a long time.
- If the battery is stored for a long time, please avoid full power storage. Store it when it is charged/discharged to about 60% of the power, which will help to extend battery life. Do not store a completely discharged battery to avoid damaging the cells.
- Do not store or transport the battery together with glasses, watches, metal necklaces or other metal objects.
- Battery transport temperature range : 18°C to 28°C (64.4°F to 82.4°F).
- Do not transport damaged batteries.
- When carrying a battery, please follow the local, state and federal airport and airline regulations, including but not limited to any restrictions on carrying batteries in checked luggage.
- In hot weather, the temperature inside the car will rise rapidly. Do not leave the battery in the car. Otherwise, the battery may catch fire or explode, causing personal injury and property damage.
- Traveling with spare lithium batteries aboard an aircraft presents a risk of fire. You may not place spare batteries for Pixy in checked baggage when traveling via aircraft. In order to travel with spare batteries in carry-on baggage, you must comply with the strict requirements provided by the U.S. Department of Transportation, International Civil Aviation Organization, or other applicable regulatory authority or agency. It is your responsibility to know these requirements.
Replacing the Battery
Only replace the battery with an appropriate battery authorized and sold by Snap Inc. There is a risk of explosion if replaced with an incorrect type.
Battery Recycling and Disposal
Please recycle or dispose of the product at end-of-life in accordance with local requirements. Waste disposal requirements may differ depending on the local, state and federal rules in the location you reside, and you are responsible for ensuring disposal in accordance with any applicable rules.
Lithium polymer batteries should be disposed of safely and responsibly, and so you should exercise care when handling or disposing batteries. If you are unable to deliver old batteries to an appropriate recycling facility, the following steps are recommended:
- Fill a container with salted water (a salt to water weight ratio of greater than 1 part salt to 100 parts water; 3 to 100 ratio of salt to water recommended).
- Place the battery inside the container, ensuring the battery is fully covered by water.
- The battery should start bubbling near its connector. Leave it somewhere fireproof for two weeks; the battery should stop bubbling after several days.
- Finally, wrap the battery with paper and properly dispose of the battery in accordance with local/state/federal regulations.
Installation and Charging of Batteries
The provided Rechargeable Battery for Pixy is installed by first inserting the end with a connector into the battery compartment and then pressing the battery down until the retention clip fully engages. Only charge and use Pixy with the battery fully and securely installed.
Batteries can be removed by lifting the battery at the clip (non-connector) end. Once the clip has disengaged the battery can be fully removed.
Charging and Charging Status
The battery in Pixy can be charged by connecting Pixy to an appropriate USB-C charging cable and power source. When connected, the LEDs on the bottom of Pixy will begin flashing in a manner indicating that the battery is charging. The LEDs on the bottom of Pixy will indicate the overall charging status.